- Place the peel in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat again to remove any bitterness.
- Place the sugar and 5 tablespoons of water in another saucepan over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the peel and simmer for 30 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Leave to cool in the syrup, and then transfer to a shallow dish with a slotted spoon. Wipe off any excess syrup, and then roll in the extra caster sugar.
- Arrange in a single layer on a cooling rack and leave to dry for around an hour before storing in an airtight tin and kept in a dry cool place.
- Use to garnish cakes or to dip in melted chocolate.
Candied citrus peel
- Prep time 5 mins
- Cook time 40 mins
- Serves 2
Makes 1 medium jar